Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Guest Post... Featuring Ashley!




10 Christmas Things That Make Me Happy

1. A Charlie Brown Christmas. This isn't a surprise (my blog is named You're the Charlie Browniest, after all), but getting to watch this program is one of the highlights of the Season. There's something so heartwarming and uplifting, and you can't help but sing along to the 'ooooo's at the end of the show.

2. Homemade ornaments. My family saves all our school projects, and it's the best trip down memory lane when we're decorating the tree and reminiscing about the popsicle stick reindeer ornament my brother made when he was 6, or the angel cutout ornament I made in kindergarten.

3. Advent Calendars. Growing up, my teachers always had advent calendars; each student was assigned a day, and when it came to that date, you got the chocolate! Now it can be adapted into anything (check Pinterest for some amazing ideas!), but it's the best of the season: anticipation and small gifts or activities counting down to the pinnacle day.

4. Christmas Cards. There's something about receiving a small bit of mail from friends and family, with a cheery message and well wishes for the holidays - it makes you feel so loved.

5. Christmas movies. How could anyone not love a good Christmas movie?!  Elf, Love Actually, The Grinch, This Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, It's A Wonderful Life…all of them create that warm 'n fuzzy feeling that craves curling up on the couch with a mug of hot cocoa.

6. Christmas Eve. I argue that it's almost better than Christmas Day (I know, I know: no presents vs. presents, it's a tough argument!) because it's the crescendo to the Holiday season: all the decorations, crowds, work, baking, cooking and stress lead up to the one day where you're filled with anticipation and surrounded by family and friends you love. Christmas Eve embodies the entire Holiday Season into one day.

7. Baking. When I was in college, I was on a college budget; so I bought a ton of ingredients and made every cookie I could find a recipe for: mint chocolate chip, sugar cookies, snicker doodles, pumpkin, nutella, even a few brownies and cupcakes --and I gave plates away to all my friends as their gifts. Since then, I can hardly go a few days during the Holiday season without baking something up; the sweet and sugars are delectable and add an amazing smell to the house.


8. My mom's tree. My house has one main tree and several smaller ones - one of which we've designated as my mom's because it's specially for her M&M collection! She used to get my brother and I the M&M stocking stuffers that come with an ornament as the cover, and she's saved a lot of them over the last 20 years. When we found garland made of M&Ms, we knew it had to come together as a tree. It's quirky and fun and I've never seen anyone else with one. I love it!

9. Windows. Kind of weird, right? Living in the suburbs, you drive past hundreds of houses in a day, and I absolutely love seeing Christmas trees and decorations in front windows. Whether it's glittering trees, shimmering tinsel, blinking lights, sparkling wreaths…it's just gorgeous!

10. *NSYNC's Home For Christmas album. I love any and all Christmas music, but I am one of the millions that adored *NSYNC (I still do.) and their holiday album is close to perfection for me. Nothing makes me happier, more nostalgic, more Holiday-y than hearing the opening notes of that album.

It's near impossible to pick only 10 things about this Season that make me happy (I'm already thinking of things I've omitted!) because Christmas is my absolute favourite holiday - but I hope your season brings as many smiles as these things do to me. Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see my dad's family on Christmas eve, and we do a lot of celebrating that day... moreso than actually on Christmas day.... so I agree with you about Christmas Eve! I love it.

Elizabeth said...

I am glad I am not the only one that still loves NSYNC's Christmas album. No celebrity Christmas album will ever be better than that one. And no Christmas is complete without listening to it over and over again.

his little lady said...

ha, YES! nysnc's christmas album is definitely the best! i absolutely have that in my car CD player right now!! ;)
xo TJ